Okay, Steelers fans. You read it here first. I am officially coining a new nickname for one of our beloved Steelers players. In the future, if you hear me refer to one of the Steelers players as “The Shadow”, you need simply refer back to this blog post for an explanation of who I am talking about, and why I am calling him that.
For those of you who are too young to remember, The Shadow started off as a comic book series back in 1940. It was also a long-running radio series (Yes kiddies, before there was an internet, your parents or grandparents actually had to sit around the radio and listen to someone talk for entertainment). The Shadow had that all too familiar tagline, “Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows”.
Am I giving this player the nickname “The Shadow” because he strike fear into the hearts of opposing teams? No. Am I calling him “The Shadow” because he is dark and mysterious? No. Am I giving him this nickname because his deeds are befitting a superhero? Hell to the naw (as Whitney “Crackhead” Houston would say). I am giving a certain Steelers player the nickname “The Shadow” because he is playing like a shadow of his former self. Who is this mystery man? Here are some clues:
- He used to be one of the Steelers’ best players.
- He has appeared in multiple Pro Bowls.
- He received a new contract in 2007 that made him the highest paid player in Steelers history (until Big Ben’s new contract eclipsed it).
- I think he injured himself while signing that new contract, and he has not played particularly well ever since.
- He made the Pro Bowl last year based on reputation alone, since he pretty much sucked last year (okay, this clue is actually true of 3 different current or former Steelers players).
- He is possibly the worst tackler on the entire team.
- He missed all of training camp this year.
- He had a whopping 3 tackles during the Steelers season opener against the Texans.
- He had no sacks and no interceptions in 2007.
- He was credited with an interception during the 2008 season opener, even though Texans QB Matt Schaub practically walked up to him and placed the ball in his hands.
Have you guessed who it is? Have you guessed, have you guessed?! Of course you have. The Shadow is none other than: